Not all oils are made equal, particularly when it comes to those determined from the cannabis plant.
In order to decide which cannabis product is right for you, explore the differences between hemp oil and CBD oil, as well as recognizing ingredients to look out for.
- CBD oil is made from the hemp plant’s leaves, flowers and stalks-the only areas of the plant where cannabidiol is found.
- Hemp oil, or hemp seed oil, is made from hemp seeds, meaning the amount of CBD is low to no.
- Each type of oil delivers its own powerful health benefits
Look For Ingredients
- If a product is CBD oil or hemp oil, the best way to determine is to look at the ingredients listed on packaging.
- If the package does not include clearly the words “hemp oil” or “hemp seed oil,” then look for “cannabis seed oil” or “cannabis sativa seed oil,” which are the scientific names for hemp oil.
- To look for absolutely CBD items, you must find ingredients like “cannabidiol” or “CBD.
Hemp oil Health benefits
- Hemp oil and CBD oil both show promise in improving one’s health but in various ways.
- Due to their healthy fats and mineral content, hemp oil is often sought after for its nutritional power.
- Promising studies have also been conducted on its effect on skin disorders and PMS symptoms.
- Hemp seeds are rich in essential fatty acids, such as linoleic (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic (omega-3) acids.
- They are also an excellent protein source and offer vitamin E and other health-enhancing minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulphur, calcium, iron, and zinc.
Studies have shown that giving hemp oil to those with eczema could improve skin disorder symptoms including dryness and itching. Studies suggest that these results are due to the omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acid balance of the hemp oil.
PMS and Menopause
Hemp is a good source of GLA, which has been shown to decrease the inflammation that may occur with menopause. Hemp oil has also been found to relieve PMS symptoms which may reduce the hormone prolactin effect in the body.
Health Benefits of CBD Oil
CBD is sought for its range of health benefits, including pain relief, inflammation and insomnia. CBD offers the power of the cannabis plant to those sensitive to THC’s “high” without psychoactive effects.
Pain and Inflammation
CBD effectively reduced pain, stiffness and inflammation in a study of patients with arthritis. Patients experienced improvement in pain reduction, walking, and muscle spasms when taking CBD, in another study of those with multiple sclerosis.
Anxiety and Depression
CBD can also be of assistance to those with depression and anxiety. A report published in Neurotherapeutics found that in treating conditions such as generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, CBD oil has promise. And a study released in 2018 in Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research found 62 per cent
CBD may also help you to sleep better, as several studies have determined. In one study, CBD showed promise for inducing deeper REM sleep, while another study of patients with Parkinson’s disease found that taking CBD oil decreased insomnia symptoms.